The Consolidated Appropriations Act (CAA), signed into law on Dec. 27, provides another round of “recovery rebate” payments to individuals and an expansion of the Paycheck Protection Program (PPP) loan program. The legislation includes some tax relief as well.
Here’s a brief overview of some of the tax-related provisions that may affect you or your business.
A brief overview:
- Permanent reduction of adjusted gross income (AGI) floor to 7.5% for medical expense deductions
- Extended nonitemizer deduction for up to $300 of cash donations ($600 for married couples filing jointly) to qualified charities through 2021
- Extended 100% of AGI deduction limit for cash donations to qualified charities through 2021
- Extended exclusion for certain employer payments of student loans through 2025
Businesses and other employers
- Clarification of tax treatment for PPP loans, certain loan forgiveness and other financial assistance under COVID-19 legislation
- Extended payroll tax credits for paid leave required under the Families First Coronavirus Response Act through March 2021
- Extended and expanded tax credits for retaining employees under the Coronavirus Aid, Relief and Economic Security (CARES) Act through June 2021
- 100% business meals deduction for food and beverages provided by restaurants in 2021 and 2022
- Extended Work Opportunity credit through 2025
- Extended New Markets credit through 2025
- Extended family medical leave credit through 2025
This is just a brief look at some of the most significant tax-related provisions in this 5,500+ page legislation. Contact your Rudler, PSC advisor at 859-331-1717 for more details on how the CAA may affect you.
RUDLER'S TAX MANAGEMENT & PLANNING TEAM
This e-Tip is presented by Suzanne Danks, CPA.
If you would like to discuss your particular tax situation, contact Suzanne at 859-331-1717.
Rudler PSC has established a Tax Management and Planning Team, a group of professionals who specialize in tax services. These highly qualified and experienced tax specialists meet on a regular basis to discuss upcoming client engagements, current issues relating to our clients and regulatory changes. Be sure to receive future Rudler Reviews for advice from our tax experts, sign up today !